History of Schooling within St. Michael's Parish
September 1864- A primitive school consisting of two large rooms in a two-story frame building was open.
February 1868- The building of the first grammar school building was begun.
August 1872- The first community of Dominican Sisters arrived at St. Michael’s to teach.
June 1898- Cornerstone for the school building on the corner of Warwick Street and Liberty Avenue was laid.
August 1909- Cornerstone blessed for the “Boys” School built on Warwick Street, next to the corner school.
September 1941- The Boys Grammar School building became a two-year Commercial High School for Girls.
January 1956- Opening of the new Commercial High School building on the corner of Jerome Street and Liberty Avenue.
August 1976- St. Michael's High School closes.
September 1976- St. Michael's Elementary School moves in to the high School building on Jerome Street.
September 1979- St. Michael's Elementary School and St. Malachy’s Elementary School become the consolidated school of St. John Neumann.
September 1980-The Robert F. Kennedy Incentive Program, a Diocesan Junior High, is opened in the old high school building on Warwick Street as a program with the school of St. John Neumann.
August 1995- The Robert F. Kennedy Incentive Program is moved to another Parish due to need for additional space at St. Michael's Parish.
September 1996- St. Michael Elementary School re-opens.
June 2011- St. Michael's Elementry school closes.
September 2011- Salve Regina Academy opens and currently uses the two buildings (625 Liberty Ave and 237 Jerome St) as it's schooling home. The Academy is the result of the merging with St. Rita's, St. Michael's and St. Sylvester's elementary schools, It is aligned with the parishes of St. Rita, St. Michael-St. Malachy, St. Fortunata, St. Sylvester, Mercy/Our Lady of Presentation and Mary, Mother of the Church. For more information, check out srac.org